Thursday, March 19, 2020

Has it really been 5 years?


Now that we are on “house arrest” for the duration of the Covid-19 pandemic, I wonder if I will accomplish more in the sewing room.  I’ve not been very active for the past few years.
When we had our windows professionally cleaned last fall I needed to move my sewing and serving tables away from the window, so I decided that would be a good time to give the area a thorough cleaning.  That led to taking project containers down from the top of the shelves

and from the table which was supposed to be a work table but has instead become a storage table
While I was doing this, I went through the contents and made a list of the each project and its stage.  I knew there was a lot but the final count floored me.  41 projects, some large, some small, some barely started, and some almost finished.
I also had a pile of corduroy sports pants that needed elastic waistbands replaced.  I've had some of them for close to 20 years but only wear them in the winter.  It’s a lot of work ripping out the serging but they were from Lands End, so weren’t cheap.  I did a few last winter and was determined to finish the job this year, which I finally did just a few days ago.  The bonus is that having to change thread colors on my “new” serger has made me a lot more comfortable with threading it.
Since the first of the year I’ve been working on Bonnie Hunter’s 2019 mystery quilt “Frolic”, step by step.  I didn’t want to make it full size, so only made about a quarter of the pieces called for in each step.  Not too happy about that as I ended up having too many of some and not enough of others.  But last week I finished sewing the blocks together and ended up with a top about 36” square.

My design wall is in a narrow hall so the photo is not very good but I will get a better one when the borders are on.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment